Ireland is home to thousands of immigrants from Nigeria and the rest of Africa. Leading companies across the world have also set their headquarters in the St Patrick’s dedicated country. Since launching the WellaHeath Diaspora Platform to send health home, we have seen questions like the above “How to claim tax back for money you sent home from Ireland”? This blog post will attempt to answer that question.
Let’s get into it quickly!
1. Determine your eligibility
This tax credit is covered by the dependent relative tax credit.
The Dependent Relative Tax Credit has some criteria. To access tax credit, here are boxes you must check:
- You must be considered to be a resident of Ireland, for tax purposes, to be eligible for tax credits on expenses made to your dependent.
- You must also have paid tax in Ireland in the year that the expenses were incurred.
2. Calculate your tax credit
Tax credits are only given for the expenses made. Although the dependent relative tax credit is €245 per year for your dependent relative, if you spend only €200 in the year under review the amount of tax credit you can claim will be €200,. You can use the Revenue’s online tax credit calculator to estimate the amount of tax credit you may be eligible for.
3. Gather your health receipts and Invoices
You will need to provide evidence of the health expenses paid for your dependent. WellaHealth provides receipts to all Nigerians getting health vouchers from the platform for their loved ones in Nigeria.
Send health home from WellaHealth and claim it from revenue
Ensure to keep all the receipts from WellaHealth as well as any other relevant documents such as prescriptions, doctor’s notes, or hospital bills.
4. Complete the form on the revenue website
You should complete the Form on the Revenue’s website, which you can access here, and submit completed form to the Irish Revenue Commissioners. In this form, you will need to fill in the following:
- Your personal details
- Details about your dependent and
- The health expenses incurred.
5. Submit your claim
After your forms have been completed, and you have gathered the necessary evidence (including WellaHealth Voucher receipts), you should submit your claim to the Irish Revenue Commissioners. The Commissioners will review your claim and assess your eligibility for tax credits.
Making a claim for the present year:
- Sign into your revenue account.
- Click the ‘Manage your tax’ link in PAYE Services.
- Select ‘Claim tax credits’.
- Select ‘Dependent Relative Tax Credit’ under the category ‘You and your family’.
6. Wait for your tax credits
The Irish Revenue Commissioners will issue you tax credits, if your claim is approved, for the health expense you have incurred for your dependent. This can then be used to reduce your tax liability or may be refunded to you as tax back.
Waiting is the easiest part of the job. Once you have the receipt from WellaHealth for the vouchers received, completed the form, and submitted , you are only an email or a post mail away from your tax back.
Important note on Relief Due for the Dependent Relative Tax Credit
- You can receive a tax credit of €245 with effect from 1 January 2021 (€70 for previous years).
- You will not receive a tax credit if your dependent relative’s income exceeds €16,780 with effect from 1 January 2023 (€16,156 for 2022).
- All of your dependent relative‘s income is included for the income limit purposes.